Russian Martial Art
Home  |  FAQ FAQ  |  FAQ Search  |  Memberlist Memberlist  |  Usergroups Usergroups  |  Register Register  |    Our store
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in 

Russian Martial Art Systema by Vladimir Vasiliev, its proprietors, instructors, agents, employees, servants, successors and assigns assume no responsibility or liability for any of the events, products, instructors or training partners and other information posted on the forum or elsewhere on this website or in any written materials distributed by RMA. All information and training is at your own risk.

What's new in Russian Martial Art  Posts   Last updated 
Clip of the month Free Video Clips
 Read more
No new posts Latest news
Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:41 PM Read more
No new posts Product Reviews
Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:21 PM Read more
No new posts Seminar Reviews
Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:20 AM Read more
No new posts Announcement Board
Tue 08 Mar, 2011 05:24 PM Read more
No new posts Training Partners
Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:43 PM Read more
Cold Water Dousing
Systema, Russian Martial Art Forum Index -> Systema Training and Practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Giebelhaus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Campo;

Check out this link for a previous Forum thread on this subject. You might find some useful information in the various posts.

http://www.russianmartialart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3634&highlight=dousing
Tim Cleary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just talking about this last night with a mate (who's been lucky enough to douse in sub-zero temperatures...). In Sydney, at least, dousing seems a little pointless in warm weather - but once you start, it's hard to stop... I don't feel clean without at least a decent amount of time under a cold shower each day...

If/when it gets cold where you are, switch to buckets. Buckets are much better in the cold.

I did a locum near the Snowy Mountains a couple of years ago coming into winter - and after a few days I found out that the water from the tap came from the river - and the river runs at 4 degrees Celsius (that's 39.2 in American) all year round... Very, very nice.. I think that would work even in summer..

Tim..
Vinnie Moscaritolo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still doing it here in Oregon winter Smile

one thing I noticed is that it does seem to clear up any nasal congestion I might have had before the douse.
Chris Misek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Smile

I had interesting experiences experimenting with cold water therapy while in East Europe last year (actually winter of 2009/2010).I had 3 months in which to try few things....

Cold water dousing (with bucket outside) does:
-feel incredible
-prevents you getting sick
-if are already sick,accelerates greatly process of healing
-relaxes you on various levels (mind,body and something deeper)
-makes you more resilient to cold temperature/weather in general.
This was in sub-zero temperatures-coldest being right near -20.
It IS extremely difficult to do,does not get easier to do...Its a constant test of willpower.In those temperatures (understand I was previously doing this in Australian winter which is not really a winter) I found it SO important to breath-its almost the "everything".

Cold showers:
Water out of shower there is extremely cold-painfully cold Smile
The effect of having a cold shower is still excellent but not as powerfull or as long lasting as the outdoor douse.I actually found best effect using alternating temperature,ie: hot shower few minutes,then cold,then hot,then cold.End with cold.
Important point:
While dousing is conducted outside,in sometimes horrid temperature you dont actually get sick from it.
Be carefull though with the cold showers...Because its not as powerfull or same effect you can get a cold from it if the bathroom is not warm.

Both are great.
Rob Sloan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to cold water dousing, maybe two months, and I'm loving it. Pretty sure the neighbors behind me are convinced I'm nuts. I douse with a 3gal bucket followed immediately by a 5gal.

My problem is having enough ice; tap water in July in Indy just isn't cold enough to challenge or invigorate me. I've been freezing two plastic coffee cans of water, but that's not gonna work for long. I have to set them out well before I actually want to douse & even then I have to bust the ice out with a rubber mallet...I've broken two coffee cans already and I don't drink enough of the stuff to keep a steady supply of empties.

So, anybody got a great tip on a cheap way to produce enough ice to douse morning and night with two buckets each time? Many thanks in advance.
Chris Misek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Id probably just persist with the tap water you have at moment and slowly get your body accustomed to it.As the colder weather moves in,the temp in taps will drop.
The dousing is best in winter,imho-much better effects....
Rob Sloan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris- thank you for your response, but I am curious about it. Why would you have me stay with tap temp in the summer heat? The difference between tap & genuine ice water is huge; even in the heat I need to breath my way through the ice water.

I'm looking forward to winter CWD, it would seem more exhilarating to say the least. Shocked
Brian King

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sloan wrote:
Quote:
"My problem is having enough ice; tap water in July in Indy just isn't cold enough to challenge or invigorate me. I've been freezing two plastic coffee cans of water, but that's not gonna work for long. I have to set them out well before I actually want to douse & even then I have to bust the ice out with a rubber mallet...I've broken two coffee cans already and I don't drink enough of the stuff to keep a steady supply of empties."

Hello Rob,
Welcome to the forum and our community. Have you thought about old time technology mixed with modern technology to perhaps solve your tepid water dousing issue? I have not tried what I am going to suggest as I usually only douse when I feel the need or when the feeling of illnesses are coming on, luckily for me rarely does that happen.

Have you thought about building a root cellar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_cellar Perhaps building a small one, big enough for your two buckets and a couple of coffee ice buckets. Place the ice inside the cellar next to the buckets of water to cool the air. This way you just keep refreezing the ‘ice coolers’. I know of some that have used old refrigerators buried in the yard (with two small vents added- the vents at different levels set up an air flow that keeps cool air in warm air out) Anyway just a thought.

Warmest Regards
Brian King
Rob Sloan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnie Moscaritolo wrote:
...one thing I noticed is that it does seem to clear up any nasal congestion I might have had before the douse.

Totally had this experience last week. I've been enjoying the radical difference of an early morning, high 40's, low 50's douse with water I've left out all night. Seeing the steam rising off me with no noticeable reaction to the "cold," such as it is.

Anyway, one chilly morning I definitely had some sinus pressure/pain start bothering me during coffee and stayed with me during my hot shower. After my douse, though, the issue was gone completely.

We're back in the 80's this week, so I've returned to my practice of adding ice to the water and letting it sit while I shower, then straight to the douse. I'm looking forward to growing in my body and spirit as the temps drop for the winter. It will take more than I've had to do thus far to stand in the snow to douse.

Brian King, thanks for the welcome. I actually already "know" you from the WT forums.
Marc Jaspert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Question referring the DEEP BREATHING PROCEDURE Reply with quote

Scott Meredith wrote:
There is a multi-page, extended, exhaustive discussion of precisely everything you have asked, in the book:

'The Russian System Guidebook' by Vladimir Vasiliev

It is available on the store of the main site at:

www.russianmartialart.com

I read the Guidebook mentioned above and 2 questions arise

1.Does Vladimir mean with Deep breathing procedure the burst breathing or what is it?
I train Systema in Germany and maybe my instructor can teach me the deep breathing.

2. Should I pour the water fast or slow over my body?
I once observed in Banja that the cold goes deeper by slow pouring.

Marc
Brian King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Marc. It is a good community and I am looking forward to reading about your training and opinion on your future postings. Please note the rules regarding user names (posted below for your convenience)

http://www.russianmartialart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128

Quote:
1. Please register with either your FULL NAME or initials. With all due respect, your posts (and your account) will otherwise be removed.

If you already created an account without reading this and have not followed this naming convention, please change your Username to your FULL REAL NAME by logging in, and clicking on "Profile" at the top of the Forum. From there, you can retype your new username and even change your password if you'd like. Please help us all by capilalizing where appropriate.

Some examples: John Smith, John Q. Smith, Jeffrey Paul Jones, Jeff Jones Jr.

While there are special circumstances when members cannot reveal their full identities, these instances should be considered rare. If this is your case, please use your initials. Again, this is understood to be rarely necessary. Please help us all by capilalizing where appropriate.

Some examples: JQSmith, J Smith, JSmith, JohnS, JohnQS, JQS

NOTE: If you use an abbreviation as shown above, you must send a message to Kwan Lee (Site Admin) explaining what the abbreviation stands for. We will respect your privacy wishes, but this step is required.

Regarding your questions.
I was once walking along a beach in Cancun Mexico talking to Vladimir (the seminars hosted by Josafath in Mexico are TOP shelf experiences) having a brief discussion about questions. Paraphrasing, he said people should not be in too much of a hurry for the correct answers but should take the time to explore and work through the issue that they have questions about, this way they will have a better understanding and then ask the right questions. Not saying your questions are wrong, just giving you a perspective from which my answers to your questions are based, if that makes sense?

Quote:
“1.Does Vladimir mean with Deep breathing procedure the burst breathing or what is it? “

Inhaling thru the nose and exhaling thru the mouth for breathing. The speed and the depth of the inhales, suspension, exhale, and suspension, depend on what the persons intent is who is doing the dousing and what they are experiencing at that minute. Exploration is key here Marc. Find what works best for you and helps the most. Are you dousing for relaxation or to wake up, are you feeling the beginnings of a cold, have some muscle aches and bruising, or are you dousing for the tempering experiences, or to cleanse from a bad day? The breathing for you might be different or the same on each. Does that make sense to you? As long as the breathing or lack of breathing is not increasing tension or the heart rate unhealthily it is good exploration.

Quote:
“I train Systema in Germany and maybe my instructor can teach me the deep breathing.”

There are some wonderful Systema practitioners and instructors in Germany and it is always a good idea to get your instructors opinion and feedback. People often say that experience is the best teacher, but of course, learning from other peoples experience is often safer LOL. That may sound like a contradiction to what I posted in the paragraph above but it isn’t in my opinion. Gathering knowledge is never bad as long as it is surrounded by exploration.

Quote:
Should I pour the water fast or slow over my body? “

To answer as Demetry Furman would, “yes” LOL sorry inside joke. Again exploration is your friend here. Pouring slow and guiding the water flow over tense or injured area’s feels wonderful and helps with the healing process, pouring two or three buckets rapidly produces a kind of stacking process that is great to explore. The idea I think is to pour with mindfulness, not to rush to get it over even if pouring or dumping quickly. The breathing and rate of pour should be done with awareness and on purpose.

Quote:
“I once observed in Banja that the cold goes deeper by slow pouring. “

There you go my friend that is the ticket. Exploration and experience is key. You can explore how water temperature, amount of water, rate of pouring, breathing, how the attitudes - the physical, mental and spiritual attitudes, all can change the dousing experiences. There is no one way is best but there is a best way for that person doing the dousing at that moment.

The thread that Jim above recommended also has good information in it.
http://www.russianmartialart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3634&highlight=dousing

Again Welcome to the forum Marc _? I spent a number of years in Germany and look forward to reading your postings.

Warmest Regards
Brian King
Bradley Scheel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting reading considering:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/04/27/cold-water-immersion-benefits.aspx?e_cid=20120427_DNL_art_2

Enjoy.

Reply to topic